Onion canvas pouch


I'm sure I'm not the only one who is seeing all those cool handwritten canvasses around. Things like this. I'd like to have a go at making one, once I've spent a while perfecting my handwriting....I got in a bit of practice with this little zipper pouch, which I made in a similar vain to the wall art. I LOVE this pouch and I think you can never have too many of them. They prove to have all sorts of uses.

This canvas however, started off life as bright white. Not a good color for someone like me. So I decided to try out a bit of vegetable dyeing. I did this with my mum when I was little, but that was years and years ago and I honestly didn't realize how much fun it would be, otherwise I would have had my kids involved.


I used a couple of website here and here and read a bit of information, then as usual, I just used the things I and on hand, ignored the bits I didn't, then proceeded to do it my own way and see how it turned out.

I cut up the crispy skin of 2 onions with a pair of scissors. FYI, I dyed about 1/4 yard of fabric.

I then placed the cut up skins into a large pan of boiling water. The color appeared almost immediately. It was really interesting and at this point I was wishing my kids were awake and not in bed asleep. I let the skins simmer in boiling water for 1 hour, then I poured it through a strainer too separate the skins. This is the color of the water at this point.

I then poured the water/dye back into the pan, turned on the gas and plunged the white fabric into the pan. I let it simmer for about 45 mins, stirring every now and then to make sure all the fabric was immersed.

After 45mins, I pulled the fabric out and put it under cold water until the water ran clear. I then threw it in the dryer and when dry, I ironed it.

Below is the end result of the color change. The white strip on the side is the original white. Not a dramatic difference (I DID only have two onions) but it's was completely the color I was hoping for. A kind of vintage/linen look to it. I was surprised at how even the color was too. I was expecting something more like when you dye paper with tea bags; discoloration in certain areas and 'vein' marks in the creases. This color is completely even and NO, it didn't smell of onions.

I then sewed up my pouch. I used lyrics from the song 'Blackbird' by the Beatles. It always makes me think of my lovely dad. It's his favorite Beatles song. I wrote of the canvas with a fabric marker and set it with a hot iron. Do you know the song?

I then cut out a small segment of the writing and sewed it as a patch onto one of the sides of the pouch.

I put in a grommet in the corner and a little strap with some rope.


I always think a bright zipper makes anything look cheery.


FYI, this may not be very colorfast because I did not mordant it, but for a zipper pouch I don't think that's very important. It's not going to be washed very often. If you plan to do something similar on fabric you will be washing, I suggest you read up on how to set the dye first.


Have you dyed with fruits and vegetables before? I'm looking forward to doing some experiments with my kids very soon. I know they will love this.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Ooooh, vegetable dying! I'm going to try that out! (you know - in all my spare time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love handwriting on canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I can only see the first pic :(
    I want to see your process photos!
    I tried a bit of vegetable dyeing a while back and got all excited but then got a bit put off when I tried some purple cabbage and alum as mordant and got some brilliant colours in the dye bath than ended up just a really pale and dull blue when washed and dried. I think the cabbage colour is very reactive. It was going from pink to blue and back again.
    I remember my mum dyeing wool with onion skins when I was a kid, too!
    I really like the look of the colour you got here. Might have to start saving onion skins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jane ~ can you see the photos now? Would you mind letting me know. I could see them all before, but when I was publishing the blog post, blogger was acting a bit crazy and I knew something was going wrong because my html went a bit haywire. Anyway, are the photos there now?

    I'm really looking forward to doing some dyeing with the kids, but I'm going to do some research into which ones make the most vivid colors. Apparently you can get a really deep orange with the onion skins. I guess that would take ALOT of onions though.
    I seem to remember when I was a kid, one vegetable being a particular color, but making a completely different color for the dye.... Ring any bells????

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOO great! I love what you did here! Thanks for sharing! I might just have to try this for myself :-)

    Blessings,
    malaika.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's been a very intersting read. Shall be following to see how you and your kids get on with the next dyeing session!

    Meanwhile, how about visiting my blog sometime to hear how I make, mend and otherwise create soft toys? You can find it at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com and we'd all love to see you there.

    I found you on the Etsy Blogs forum site, by the way. All the best with your Etsy endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute pouch! I love the onion dye. As you say, subtle, but warm and vintage-y.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, beautiful photos and a beautiful sentimental twist to the tutorial. I am now super inspired,and want to get myself a fabric marker.What a novel idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dyeing with onion skins??? I have to have to try this!!! How cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the label that you used on this :) where pray tell did you get them from ??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your tutorial.
    I have tried the onion skins, and also tea(that I had forgotten about for years) and instant coffe. They both give the fabric this slightly aged, muted look that I too love.

    ReplyDelete

© The Hello Beautiful Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig