Macatia chocolat banane

Years ago, my husband and I lived on an island in the Indian Ocean called Reunion Island. We were only there for 1 year but it left a huge impression on us both and we still often talk about our time there now. It's a beautiful place with a huge mix of geography and cultures. The interior of the island is very mountainous with isolated communities and craggy waterfalls, not to mention an active volcano that erupted while we were there. The perimeter of the island is dotted with beach-y towns, some with black sand from the volcano, lagoons and cities with aged buildings reflecting a beautiful creole style. It has been over 10 years since we were there, so I expect the island has seen some significant changes in that time, but I'm sure they are still serving some of the delicious creole dishes in the restaurants. I bought a couple of recipe cards when I was there (I now wish I'd bought more) and make them often. It brings back great memories.

Until now however, I have not made a scrumptious bread that I used to buy fresh from the bakery many mornings. It was called a macatia, and you could get them with banana or chocolate, or both. Both was my favorite. It almost goes without saying. Anyway, I have often searched for macatia recipes online and have never really found anything inspiring, but last week I made a real effort to look for the perfect recipe and I found it! I had to make several changes to the quantities to accommodate the differences between French and American baking, but they came out great. Just perfect actually. Instantly took me back to that time in our lives.

Plus, the kids liked them which is always a bonus.



SHARE:

1 comment

© The Hello Beautiful Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig