Days like this...and a blouse

Phew, what a day. It has been pouring with rain today. And I mean proper pouring. It's like someone is standing outside my house throwing buckets of water at the windows when I'm not looking. I don't usually mind the odd day of wet weather as it's a good excuse to stay home and veg (and it's good for the garden), but when you have the school run and gymnastics classes to get to, it's less than fun. Throw in the odd useless driver who believes it unnecessary to turn on their headlights, who drives right up the back of your car or at 60 miles an hour in a 40 zone, and it leaves you longing for sunny days more than ever.

Anyway, I wanted to share some photos of a top I made a couple of weeks ago. I had forgotten about some Lisette patterns I bought last summer and never made until I discovered them in my patterns box. I pulled them out and worked out I had enough fabric in my stash to make the Continental Blouse. I used a cotton print which is not my favorite (I think I bought it to use as a lining for something) but actually, I'm keener on it now that it has been made into a blouse, than I thought I would be. The front is very plain and simple with a nice scooped neckline. The pattern is for long sleeves, but I think for another time, this would be nice as 3/4 length too.

The back has a gathered panel which I think is a really nice detail, and it makes the blouse hang pretty nicely.

It's probably making your eyes go a bit funny, looking at all those dots. There's a small facing band inside the neckline. The Lisette patterns have many lovely neat finishing techniques like this.

My 5 yr old took this photo, so it's not necessarily the best. I had to sit down because she couldn't hold the camera high enough AND take a photo at the same time. It might give you a bit of an idea on the fit. I took in the side substantially. I can't remember what size I cut but though the shoulders and sleeves fitted me well, the billowy front and back panels made me look about 7 months pregnant. Not a look I'm after these day. I brought in the sides as much as I could and still be able to pull the blouse on and off over my head.

Verdict : Lovely pattern with some nice finishes. Especially love the back detail. Would like to make this in a nautical theme; navy and white stripes, 3/4 length sleeves and perhaps some little shoulder tag/buttony things, if you know what I mean??
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. It look great on you! I do think you could probably come down a size or two--the shoulders seem a little wide, and I know you took in the side seams quite a bit. This blog post might help you to find the right size--it's all about the upper chest measurement:

    http://www.sewlisette.com/blog/2011/06/two-resources-to-help-you-find-your-correct-size/

    I hope that helps, and I'd love to see more if you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Liesl! I really appreciate your expert advice :O) I do have very wide shoulders so I always tend to go for the larger size and then take in where necessary. Perhaps my shoulders aren't as wide as I think they are, after all! Hooray! The link you posted is really helpful and I'll use it when I make my second blouse. I'm on the look out for some worthy fabric. It's a lovely pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you, Emma,I went right to the Lisette website and bought this pattern. And now I'm even happier to find the sizing advice! My first real sewing project.. Thank you for your inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steffie, I'm so glad you felt inspired to start on this blouse. I'm sure you'll love it! Come back and let me know how you got on - I'd love to see the finished thing and I'm sure Liesl would too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished it! Wearing it right this minute and I'm in love. Thank god I also sent for Liesl's seams, closures & hems disc, too (does that sound like an ad? I really did refer to it a million times). My neckline looks a little different than yours, and you're obviously an expert at the details (I promise to practice), but I like it. Fits perfectly, thanks to the sizing info above, too. I used a heavier, but really very pretty floral pattern, and it's just gorgeous. Thanks again. I will visit often for inspiration and motivation:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Steffie! I'm so happy you made it AND like it!! Isn't it a great feeling to be able to make your own clothes! And the Lisette patterns are such good ones to start off with too. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

© The Hello Beautiful Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig