Feeling proud

Is it vain of me to feel so much pride in this dress I made for my little one? Of course, all I did was buy the pattern, cut it out and sew it together, so I do realize its perfection is not entirely down to me.

But, it is totally the right dress for the right little girl. I think it looks great on her and I made it with more than my usual carefulness.

And I'm probably reveling in this feeling, because this isn't how I always feel at the end of a sewing project.

Pride is not usually thought of as an attractive quality. It suggests an excess of self-importance or an over inflated self-image. I don't think I have either of those things. I'm pretty aware of my small place in the world, but am happily surrounded by family and friends who love me.

But I am PROUD. The dress isn't perfect, but it's perfect to me!

Yes, it may seem a little incongruous to put in a bright green invisible zipper, when the thing is supposed to be hiding, but look at that lovely green zipper pull.

What's not especially clear from all these photos is that I finished the sleeves and the hem with a green ric rac. The dress itself is linen from Joanns. I love the weight of this fabric so much. I use it a lot for bags and pouches but this is the first time I have used it for clothing (mainly because I don't like ironing and this thing NEEDS to be ironed after washing), but it's worth it and the dress isn't very big. She's only five.

The pattern is the Sunki by Figgy's.



Photobucket
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Oh, and so you should be proud. You not only made the beautiful dress, but also the sweet human wearing it!
    I love the subtle detail of the ric-rac and green zip. I have seen some two-colour versions of this dress that weird me out a bit because the seam shaping can make it look like trying to put a woman's hourglass shape on a little girl. This however is just lovely. And linen is worth the trouble ironing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely perfect. The ric- rac is lovely and I prefer a bright zipper myself. You did a fabulous job all around! Your daughter is gorgeous and it's fitting she have a gorgeous dress. :)

    Note To Jane: Our intention wasn't to make little girls look like they have a woman's shape, I promise. We were just trying to highlight the pocket design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful. Love the pockets and the rick rack. Just wonderful. I think you have every right to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. The scooped pockets is one of my favorite things about this dress. That and the shoulders. Although I don't think it looks 'womanly' in two different fabrics, I prefer the look of one fabric. That way the pockets are a bit camouflaged - like a surprise! I really like the Ikat example you used Shelly, on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern, and this is such a sweet, simple version. I can't believe how perfectly finished it is, inside and out! I mean, piping on the INSIDE? You won't see me posting photos of the insides of my garments (shudder).

    It really is a lovely dress, for a lovely little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe that the inside of this dress looks just as beautiful as the outside of this dress. Your attention to detail puts me to shame!
    Such a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had been wondering about trying the Sunki Dress in linen and it looks wonderful. The Green accents are fabulous including the zipper!

    ReplyDelete

© The Hello Beautiful Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig