New year's resolution - May hoodie


Do you remember my new year's resolution to sew myself one item of clothing each month of 2012. I'm doing well so far and in fact, I'm probably ahead of schedule. My May project is now up over at the Fiskar's website - I made a hoodie from a pattern that I drafted myself by tracing off another top I have. I'd never really tried that before on clothing for me (I've done it a few times for children's clothes but they are easy because they are so small!) I used a sweatshirt that I have that fits me well, and paying attention to the seam lines and adding in enough seam allowance, it was pretty straightforward. I traced the pattern onto freezer paper, but you could also use Swedish tracing paper or even better, that brown paper that comes in all the packing boxes.


Click here to go and read all about the project over at Fiskars.

Have you ever traced off a pattern? Did you find it a successful experience? I actually REALLY liked creating this hoodie this way. Because I didn't have any instructions or pattern directions to follow, it felt WAY more creative than usual and I felt more confident in allowing my own sense of style to emerge.


SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I love this!What a cute & comfy looking hoodie (i <3 hoodies :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are adorable! and quite talented. this is so inspiring emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is just totally cool and stylish. Love the cowl, the buttons and the contrast inside the pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I actually was in a bind because I couldn't find any interesting sweatshirt fabrics to use until I thought to make stripes and line the pocket with t-shirt knits. x

      Delete
  4. You are a very inspirational young lady. Linked here through Spoonflower (your beautiful scarf). Thank you for sharing your process.
    My best,
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete

© The Hello Beautiful Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig