New Year's Resolution JULY


You may be forgiven for thinking it's Halloween already, but no, that's just another photo of me looking like I hate having my photo taken and trying to pretend it's not happening. I'm just staring off into my happy place,  forcing myself to forget there's a lens right in front of me, making me feel all self-conscious and all.

If you'll ignore my messy hair and uncomfortable pose, you may notice my dress which I made as my part of my new year's resolution project I'm working on for Fiskars.

I used the Kimono Sleeve dress pattern by Salme Patterns. I don't see it in their store anymore and I'm not sure why. Fear not, they have quite a few other dress patterns (and other pretty clothing items too). I have made several - the patterns are super simple and very comfortable.

To cheer up the dark navy blue satin I used, I decided to make a large anchor applique on the skirt. Not sure why I happened to chose an anchor at random (I'm not a sailor but I DO live by the beach) but I love it! I think I'm going to use this applique technique on more clothing from now on.

You can read the full article over at Fiskars here.


On a related note, I attended a quilting class with my mum last week and we learnt to applique and reverse applique (using a completely different method than the one I used for this dress). Attending a sewing class was such a brilliant thing to do - I need to do it more often. That would be nice.

#sp
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Love it!
    Will you be appliqueing something Olympic-themed in the next few weeks? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too Tara! Not sure about the Olympic themed applique. But, never say never!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, as usual! And going to a sewing class with your mum sounds like an awesome thing to do... and hey, you can call it 'professional development'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thanks!! The class was too much fun to be called 'professional developement' but then again, it WAS a sewing class and that does seem to be my job these days....hmmm....

      Delete
  3. really cute---love that blue satiny material! I was thinking maybe something with a scissors applique next time (in that bottom picture of the anchor and the scissors, the anchor almost looks like the top of scissors, so this is where I got the idea from). Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly! Hi!! Yes, it does look like the top of the scissors, now that you mention it! I definitely have a few pairs of scissors I could draw around as a template!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anchors and nautical everything! This dress is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

© The Hello Beautiful Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig